Background





Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Apricot Pecan Bread

Years ago, my cousin made a delicious apricot bread at Christmas. We all loved it and I have been searching for the recipe ever since.  I finally found it and it is just as good as I remember.   This moist, flavorful quick bread will become a family favorite.  I ususally omit nuts from my quick bread recipes, but don't do it with this one.  The pecans are the perfect taste and texture compliment to the apricots. 


Apricot Pecan Bread
from Southern Living November 1997

2 1/2 cups dried apricots, chopped
1 c chopped pecans
3 c all-purpose flour, divided
1 c wheat flour
1/2 c butter, softened
2 c sugar
2 large eggs
4 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 c orange juice (I used Simply Orange - great orange flavor!)

Combine chopped apricot and warm water to cover in a large bowl; let stand 30 minutes.  Drain apricot. *** Stir in pecans and 1/2 c all-purpose flour.

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes; gradually add sugar, beating well.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. 

Combine remaining 3 1/2 c flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add to butter mixture alternately with orange juice, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Stir in apricot mixture. 

Spoon batter into two pgreased and floured 8 x 4 inch loaf pans; let stand at room temperature 20 minutes. 

Bake bread at 350 for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 - 15 minutes;  remove from pans, and cool completely on wire rack.   Makes 2 loaves. 

***NOTE - I used Trader Joe's Dried Apricots and they were very plump and moist.  I did NOT soak them and they were delicious. 

Linking up to

2 comments:

  1. I love apricots! This looks like a wonderful recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a delicious looking bread! I'd love to eat it anytime

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!