Background





Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cocoa-Almond Biscotti

I made my very first biscotti over Christmas.  I made a delicious Orange Cranberry Biscotti recipe I found at Allrecipes.  I liked it so much, I made another batch to give as gifts to friends and neighbors.  I had always been intimidated to make biscotti, thinking I could never get it "right".  Boy, was I ever wrong.  While a bit time consuming, it is a very simple process and you can do other things in the kitchen or around the house during the baking and cooling process. 

Since my first biscotti success, I have been looking for another recipe to try.  I turned to my Southern Living Cookbook Collection and found a Cocoa-Almond recipe to try and oh, my is it delicious!  I was out of coffee liqueur, so I subbed homemade chocolate sauce and I believe this made the biscotti exceptionally rich and delicious.  Not sure I will use coffee liqueur even if I have some in the future.  The dough is very sticky, but DON'T be tempted to add extra flour.  When baked these are light and crispy, adding extra flour would change their wonderful texture.  I just floured my hands a bit to make the dough easier to work with. 

Cocoa Almond Biscotti
from Southern Living Annual Recipes 1996

1/2 c butter or margarine, softened
1 c sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 T coffee-flavored liquer (I used homemade chocolate sauce)
2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 T cocoa
1 (6 oz) can whole almonds (I used 3/4 c sliced almonds)

Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl; beat at medium speed with a electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, beating well.  Mix in liquer (chocolate sauce).

Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, beating well.  Stir in almonds.

Divide dough in half; shape each portion into a 9 x 2 lob on a lightly greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until fir.  Cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes.  Remove to wire racks to cool.  Cut each log diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices with a serrated knife, using a gentle sawing motion.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet. 

Bake at 350 for 5 - 7 minutes.  Turn cookies over, and bake 5 - 7 additional minutes.  Remove to wire racks to cool. 

Makes 2 1/2 dozen delicious biscotti treats.  

Linked to Made By You Monday at Skip to My Lou
Sundae Scoop at I Love Naptime
Weekend Wrap Up at Tatertots and Jello
Ingredient Spotlight at Eat at Home
Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli'n Son
Sweet Temptations at Talking Dollars and Cents

5 comments:

  1. Cocoa almond sounds like a great combination! Your biscotti looks great! I am really into making them these days since I can study while they bake/ cool in the oven(: I just bought a bottle of Kahula so these would be wonderful to make!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just cannot go wrong with Southern Living. Those biscotti look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Visiting from Tatertots & Jello. These look so good - I may have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, for one of those to dip in a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never made biscotti before. Looks delicious! Thanks so much for linking up at Sweet Temptations!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!