Background





Tuesday, December 29, 2009

January Kitchen Goal - Eat From the Pantry

My January Kitchen Goal is to eat from our pantry and reduce the number of trips and amout of money spent at the grocery store. I am in good company, as Money Saving Mom and FishMama are doing this as well and even hosting a challenge. So, I am signing up.



My goals are
  1. Only 1 trip to the grocery a week. Ideally this will be for milk, eggs, bread and fresh produce. However, I am not going to let really good deals go by that we need - the key word being need. For example, I am out of butter. If a really good deal for butter comes along, I will stock up on it.
  2. Shop from my pantry first, not my cookbooks. I have a bad habit of choosing recipes first and then having to buy alot of ingredients at the store. I am hoping this will change my menu planning behavior.
  3. Use my leftovers! I am the worst about saving food and then a week (or more) later throwing it away. This one will be hard.
  4. Use up the processed food we have in the house in order to focus on February's goal - Use less processed food.
I will be making one last grocery trip this year for the items we need for our New Year's Eve and New Years's Day Celebrations. I will be including milk, eggs, OJ and bread to get us started on our Pantry Challenge. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. When eggs go on sale, you can buy enough for the whole month. The American Egg Board says that eggs are good fr 4-5 weeks after their expiration date. I only buy eggs when they go on sale for .99 a dozen, and I stock up thn (13 dozen at a time).

    Walmart had butter on sale bfore Christmas; I don't know if they still do, but it wa $1.50 a pound. Sam's Club always has butter for less than $2 a pound.

    If you buy apples on sale, they can last you 2-3 weeks in the fridge (as can carrots). Potatoes can last a long time as well, and frozen vegetables and fruits can also help you avoid a trip to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the leftovers. I am preplanning a leftover night in my menu this month.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!