Background





Saturday, August 14, 2010

Jalapeno Pepper Jelly

This was the first thing I ever canned and it is still one of my favorites and one of my most requested.  All the peppers came from my garden.  YEAH!!!  This is a tested recipe from the Ball Blue Book (the ultimate canning guide IMHO), so it is very safe.  Original recipe calls for all jalapenos, I use 1/2 jalapenos and 1/2 green peppers as my family is not a fan of super hot things, but love this jelly.  There are many many canning sites that give great information on how to can, please consult those (or get a Blue Book) if you have never done it before.  This is just the recipe.



Jalapeno Pepper Jelly
from the Ball Blue Book

3/4 pounds jalapeno peppers (I use 3 large jalapenos and 3 green bell peppers)
2 c cider vinegar
6 cups sugar (I only use 5 - we don't like it so sweet)
2 pouches liquid pectin
green food coloring - optional ( I have never used it and get a lovely light green color that looks much more natural)

Wash peppers, drain.  Remove stems and seeds.  Puree peppers and 1 cup vinegar in a food processor or blender.  Combind puree, 1 c vinegar and sugar in a large saucepot.  Bring to a boil; boil 10 minutes, stirring constantly (use a much bigger pot than you think you will need.  This stuff bubbles up alot).  Stir in liquid pectin.  Return to a rolling boil.  Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Skim foam if necessary.  Stir in a few drops of food coloring, if desired.  Ladle hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  ADjust two piece caps.  Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner. 
Makes about 6 1/2 pints of jelly.

*** wear rubber gloves when seeding and chopping peppers --- trust me!

We love this on our bagels in the morning or served with cream cheese on crackes for a quick summer appetizer. 

Linked to It's A Blog Party Harvest Recipes
Tasty Tuesday
Tuesday Garden Party
Tater Tots and Jello Weekend Wrap Up
Quit Eating Out's Saturday Swap



6 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make pepper jelly, but have never canned anything. This year was my first year having a garden and it's been fun (and a lot of work!). I did make pickled banana peppers (that are awesome!), so I might give this a try.

    *side note - my parents have a French Bull named Bubba :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hosting Canning Week on my blog next week and I'd love to have you join us! We will be having tips and tricks, recipes, a linky party, and giveaways!

    jen @ messhalltobistro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic! been looking for just such a recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for linking up to our Canning Week Party. Jen is actually getting ready to post her recipe for jalapeno jelly tomorrow. You two will have to compare notes. I hope you stoppped by Jen's site and signed up for all our fun canning giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from Kim's Saturday Swap. Your recipe sounds perfect. I used to own an old fashioned style general store where you could get everything from hand-made furniture, to folk art and gourmet foods. One of my favorite things to sell around the holidays (and sample out to customers) was the pepper jelly. I've been looking for a good recipe ever since we closed up shop! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking this to Saturday Swap! WHat a great gift idea this time of year. LOVE the idea of then using it as a quick qppetizer. Great ideas and great recipe. Thanks a bunch! Have a super start to your week!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!