Background





Thursday, September 8, 2011

Roasted Tomato/Vegetable Sauce

One of my favorite blogs is An Oregon Cottage.  It is full of wonderful, practical advice about living simpler, something I need to be reminded frequently.  Jami's blog is my go-to for "make my own" versions of items I used to buy at the grocery store.  For example, An Oregon Cottage is where I first learned I could cook and freeze my own dried beans and save money and decrease the amount of sodium in our diets.  I also found Jami's recipe for Chocolate Sauce that has become our staple in our house. Sooooo good over homemade vanilla ice cream.  One of my favorite Oregon Cottage recipe is Roasted Tomato Sauce.  I used my homegrown tomatoes and zucchini and it is delicious.  It freezes great and tastes like summer when I serve it over cheese ravioli in the dead of winter.

Roasted Tomato/Vegetable Sauce

Put in a large roasting pan (I use a restaurant size jelly roll pan)
  • 3 T olive oil
  • 6 pounds of tomatoes, cored and cut in halves (quarters if they are large)- cut side down
  • 1/2 large onion chopped
  • any vegetable on hand:  zucchini, peppers, carrots, celery (optional, but very good)
  • 5 or 6 cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
  • 4 T balsamic vinegar
  • 3 t Italian seasoning
  • 1 t each salt and pepper
1.  Roast for 45 - 60 minutes (until vegetables are soft)
2.  Remove skins with tongs, as desired (I remove the ones that come off easily - stubborn ones stay on)
3.  Process briefly in a blender or food processor for a chunky sauce, or more for a smooth sauce
4.  Use right away or pour into quart size containers, label and freeze.
Makes about 2 quarts


Linking to

4 comments:

  1. Yes, Jami's blog is one of my favorites, too!

    I've never seen balsamic vinegar included in a tomato sauce. Sounds Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for something healthy and vegetarian. Your recipe is perfect. I love the way you use what you have in your garden or produce bin. I like the inclusion of balsamic vinegar; I always go first class with that one that way the infusion of flavor is divine. Thanks for posting this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just love Roasted Vegetables and your recipe for the sauce looks delicious. I just love a recipe like this. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jenny for the kind words! I'm so glad you have found some recipes you like on An Oregon Cottage. I so agree that the tomato sauce is one of the best. ;-)

    -Jami

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!