Background





Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Banana Nut Muffins (or Bread)

On occasion I leave a couple of bananas to turn really good and brown just so I can make Banana Bread.  My recipe is a really old one, from the original Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  You know, the one your Granny and your Mom had, the one every bride gets at her bridal shower -- the one with the red and white checked cover?  Well, if you don't have a clue what I am talking about , here is the recipe.  I like this one because it is not very sweet and is very forgiving.  I rarely follow they specific directions, just dump it all in and bake.  Turns out perfect every time.  I chose to make muffins this time so I can freeze them for quick breakfasts this summer.  Just freeze in a large freezer bag.  When ready to eat, throw on in the microwave for 20 seconds and you are good to go.  Enjoy. 


1 3/4 c flour
2/3 c sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 c mashed ripe bananas ( 2 - 3)
1/3 c shortening, margarine or butter (I have always used shortening)
2 T milk
2 eggs
1/4 c chopped nuts (I prefer pecans)

In a large bowl combine 1 c of flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Stir to combine.  Add mashed banana, shortening, and milk.  Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until blended, then on high speed for 2 minutes.  Add eggs and remaining flour; beat till blended.  Stir in nuts.

For muffins -
Pour batter into 12 muffin cups.  Bake at 350* for 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.  Cool in pan on a wire rack. 

For bread -
Pour batter into a 8 x 4 x 2 loaf pan.   Bake at 350* for 55 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool in pan on wire rack. 

Linked to Balancing Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday
It's a Blog Party Delicious Dishes
Crazy Daisy Tuesday Tastes

1 comment:

  1. These look delish!I love banana bread so I bet these would be a fav too! Welcome to Tuesday Tastes!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
    crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!