Background





Tuesday, September 28, 2010

How To Eat at Home on the Go - Week 1 - Chef Salads

We are a sports family.  We participate in sports each season except for summer - football, cheerleading, dance, baskteball, gymnastics, and lacrosse.  This means we are constantly eating on the go.  Add to the complications that my athletes and coach do not like to eat before practice, leaving us eating very late.  We used to spend a great deal of time (and  money) in fast food drive thrus.  I was determined to find a better way.  I know there are many of you that share my dilemna, whether it be heading to church activities, band practice, tutoring session, shift work, etc.  Over the next 12 weeks I will share with you the tips and tricks we use to Eat At Home On The Go.


Chef Salads

This is a great way to use up what is in the refrigerator and is perfect for a hot night after a long hard practice.  You can also prep the components the night before or very quickly before heading to your evening activities. 

I chop a huge bowl of lettuce (I do this while everyone is in the shower right after practice) and make a tray of whatever salad components I have on hand.  The key is to have at least one source of protein and  a varitey of toppings to meet the different tastes of your family.



Sample platter - sliced deli ham and turkey, chopped hard boiled eggs, diced cucumbers, diced tomatoes, chopped green peppers, chopped banana peppers, sliced mushrooms, shredded or cubed cheese, bacon bits, croutons. 

Homemade Salad Dressings - these are our favorites
Avocado Ranch Dressing
Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix
Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing

Each family member can then make their own salad tailored to their tastes.  Enojy!

Linked to
Tasty Tuesday
Delicious Dishes
Mouthwatering Mondays
Works for Me Wednesdays

3 comments:

  1. I love doing meals this way! Keeps everybody happy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love salads. One semester in college, I lived in a house and had to cook for very picky eaters. One night when everyone was coming and going, I made a chef salad similiar to this and kept it in the fridge, then I left breadsticks and cookies on the counter.

    Oddly enough, that night all the picky eaters became piggy eaters and there was barely enough salad to go around.

    I like how you arranged your toppings so pretty on the plate too. With such a visibly appealing meal, no wonder your family likes it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!