Background





Monday, July 12, 2010

Marathon Freezer Session Progress

I had HUGE plans for my marathon freezer cooking Session last week and I accomplished most of my goals, with a few detours along the way.  Many of the recipes are linked here in my original plan.  Several will be making an appearance over the next few weeks.

Here are my totals - 42 main dishes, 10 side dishes (many will provide leftovers) and several treats and breakfast items.

Beef Recipes
Beer Chili - 3 meals
Sloppy Joes - 4 mealss
Taco Meat - 3 meals
Meat Mix for Spaghetti - 3 meals
Lasagna - 2 family size and 1 large enough for company
Meatballs - 1 meal

Chicken Recipes
Chicken (Plain, no seasonings) and Broth - 4 meals of chicken and 8 cups of broth
Spicy Chicken and Broth - 2 meals of chicken and 7 cups of broth
All-Purpose Crockpot Chicken (lightly seasoned) and Broth - 2 meals chicken and 5 cups broth
Grilled Chicken Strips - 4 meals
Lemon Chicken Pasta - 1 meal (this is an experiment)
Lemon Pepper Marinated Chicken - 2 meals
Italian Marinated Chicken - 2 meals
All Purpose Marinated Chicken - 2 meals
Bottle O'Beer Chicken - 1 meal
Dijon Chicken - 1 meal

Sides
Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes - 3 meals
Mac and Cheese - 4 meals
Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes - 3 meals
Pizza Sauce - 4 meals
Frozen Fruit Cups - 12 individual servings

Treats
Pancakes - 45 individual pancakes
Chocolate Chip Cookies - 5 dozen
M & M Sugar Cookies - 3 dozen

I have not gotten around to making the San Marzano Marinara Sauce or the Kentucky Sugar Cookies. That will happen in the next day or so. 

Adjustments to my plan -
  • The Parmensan Chicken Strips were scratched because I totally forgot these have to be frozen raw.  I had planned to use previously frozen chicken breasts and for food safety reasons I will not do that, so I made extra grilled chicken strips. 
  • Vanilla Muffins - I made them and just did not like them, so they hit the trash can.  You win some, you loose some!
  • I opted to make the Pineapple and Blueberry Orange Muffins closer to the start of school as I really want them for quick breakfasts then. 
All in all, I am thrilled with how much I accomplished and how little money I spent.  Because i used ALOT of items from my pantry I only spent $210 on this entire session.  That includes at least $20 in food storage items (Ziploc containers and freezer bags), so food costs were really around $190.  That averages out to around $4.50/meal.  I will take that!

1 comment:

  1. I admire you for being able to cook so much in advance. I'm the type of person who just cooks extra of a recipe we're having that day, then freezes it for a future meal.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!