Background





Tuesday, April 19, 2011

BBQ Chicken Pizza

I LOVE BBQ Chicken Pizza.  It is truly one of my favorite specialty pizza, along with any kind of pizza that includes pesto.  The problem is I am the only one in my house that will eat it, so I don't make it very often.  However on Saturday I decided to make homemade pizza and cater to everyone's favorites.  I also decided to spend some time and energy into making new pizza crust recipe that included rising and resting time.  That meant this was going to be a labor and time intensive venture.  I made one medium cheese and pepperoni pizza for DH, one small pesto with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses for the kids and one small BBQ chicken pizza for me.

BBQ Chicken Pizza
One small pizza crust, ready for toppings
1/4 c BBQ sauce (use your favorite)
1 cooked chicken breast, diced
1 T carmelized red onion, diced
1 T roasated red peppers, diced
2 T fresh cilantro, cut from the stem, leaves whole
1 1/2 c cheddar and jack cheeses, shredded

Preheat oven to 500 degrees for at least 30 minutes. 
Toss BBQ sauce, chicken, onions and peppers.  Top crust with mixture. 
Bake for 5 minutes.
Remove from oven top with cilantro leaves and cheeses. 
Bake for 5 minutes more, or until cheese is hot and bubbly. 
Let rest for 5 minutes, cut and serve.

The Crust Experiment-
I used a new recipe that involved 1 1/2 hours of rise time and a 10 - 20 minutes rest before shaping and topping the crust.  I expected a fantastic, delicious, out of this world crust.  I was disappointed.  It was no better than my very good, standard 10 minute crust recipe I inherited from my mom.  So, I have decided from now on to stick with  my mom's crust, no more 3 hours pizza crust experiments for me.  So, if you have put off making homemade pizza because you think it takes too long or is too hard, try this recipe.  It is just as good as the more labor intensive recipes and my family loves it.

Quick and Delicious Pizza Crust
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 c warm water
1 t sugar
1 t salt
2 T vegetable oil
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour ( I use 1 cup whole wheat)

Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Stir in remaining ingredients;  beat vigourously 20 strokes.  Let rise about 15 minutes.  Divide dough into halves.  Pat each half in to an 11 inch circle on a lightly greased cookie sheet or pizza stone.  Top with sauce and toppings.  Bake at 450 for 20 minutes.

Linked to -
Beauty and Bedlam
It's A Blog Party
Good Cheap Eats
What's On the Menu Wednesday
Eat At Home

3 comments:

  1. I love this pizza too. Yours looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good. We love bbq chicken and pizza so it would be a winner in our house:)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!