Background





Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Holiday Food Fest - Thanksgiving and Fall Recipes


No holiday or special occasion table at our house is complete without broccoli casserole. This is one of the very first recipes I ever made for hy husband when we were dating. A self-professed broccoli hater, this turned him around. This is from an OLD Baptist Church Cookbook. My clarification and changes are in the parentheses.

Broccoli Casserole

Cook 1 cup of rice according to package directions (I have used minute and long grain rice as well as white and brown rice). Add 1/2 stick butter, 8 oz Velveeta cheese (cubed) and one package of chopped broccoli (cooked). Mix one can cream of chicken soup (mushroom and celery are just as good), 1 egg and 1/2 t salt. Add to rice mixture. Put in a 2 qt baking dish and bake at 350* for 40 minutes.

*** original recipe called for 1 c chopped celery and 1 c chopped onions. I have never used celery and only occasionally use a small amount of onion, if I have chopped it for something else.

3 comments:

  1. Don't you just love those old community and church cookbooks:) Your menu sounds terrific - hope it's been a good week. I would love for you to join me at Crock Pot Wednesday. Come check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE broccoli casserole. Hasn't been put on the menu yet for this Thanksgiving - you have reminded me to do so! Yum! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those church cookbooks are some of the very best! I still use mine that are over 30 years old. I often adapt like you did, but still some great stuff there. Glad you converted your hubby to broccoli!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!