Background





Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pumpkin Crisp

I am linking up with Hoosier Homemade today as part of the Holiday Food Fest. This week's topic is Fall Desserts.


My very favorite fall desert is Pumpkin Crisp. I could make it a million times during the fall season. The problem is, I am the only person in my house with an addiction to pumpkin. If I make this, I am certain to be the only one to eat it. That being said, sometimes it is worth the extra 15 pounds!


The my original recipe came from a fall issue of Southern Living Magazine about 3 - 4 years ago, but I have seen similar recipes around the web, most often called Pumpkin Dump Cake. My changes are in parentheses). Like any true southern cook, I believe this is best served warm with fresh whipped cream on top.




Pumpkin Crisp - from Southern Living Magazine


1 - 15 oz can pumpkin
1 c evaporated milk
1 c sugar
1 t vanilla
1/2 t cinnamon (I add cloves and nutmeg, about 1/4 t each)
1 package butter flavored yellow cake mix ( I only use 1/2 a package - too much topping for me)
1 c chopped pecans ( I leave these out)
1 cup butter, melted (I only use 1/2 c)


Stir together first 5 ingredients. Pour into a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish. Sprinkle cake mix evenly over pumpkin mixture; sprinkle pecans. Drizzle butter evenly over pecans.


Bake at 350* for 1 hour or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.


For more yummy fall desserts, especially if you love pumpkin, head over to Hoosier Homemade!

4 comments:

  1. What a great Fall dessert! Thanks for joining in the fun at the Holiday Food Fest! I hope you plan on joining us next Thurs too!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! what a GREAT!!! recipe using pumpkin. It also sounds so EASY!!!
    I have become a follower of your blog, I love to share recipes and ideas.
    Come by and visit my blog and my do the same.
    I read that you have two English Bull Dogs. We have one named Mack.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantastic! I love the flavours and everything - definitely one to try =D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, pumpkin crisp ... I know it's good just by the name. ;-) Southern Living recipes are always great. It's fun to tweak a bit though, too. :-)

    Glad you are joining in on Holiday Food Fest!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!