Background





Tuesday, October 19, 2010

How to Eat at Home on the Go - Week 4 - Sloppy Joes

Welcome to Week 4 of How to Eat at Home on the Go, a series where I offer my tips, tricks and recipes to eat at home even when your family is on the go for school, sports, church, work and anything else that comes up. You can check out the first three weeks of the series here - Week 1, Week 2 and Week 3.




This week's recipe to help you eat at home on the go requires advanced prep, but makes meal time on busy days a breeze!  If you already freezer cook, you can just add this recipe to your freezer cooking rotation.  If you do not freezer cook, then this is the PERFECT recipe to get started with.    Cook up these Sloppy Joes and freeze in meal size portions.  I double the recipe and get 3 meal size portions for my family of four - I have one preteen boy who LOVES these, so you may get more than I do.  On a busy night before practice partially thaw Sloppy Joes and place in the crockpot on low.  I do this as soon as I get home from work and when we get back from practice 4 hours later, it is ready to go.  An quicker alternate to this is to simly thaw and heat on the stove for 10 - 15 minutes and serve. With this, I can have dinner on the table 5 minutes after we walk in the door.  I serve with chips, dip and fresh fruit or vegetables. 

I always forget this is a Weight Watchers recipe until I pull out the recipe.  It tastes nothing like a "diet" meal, so please don't let that deter you from making these, your family will thank you!

WW Sloppy Joes



2 pounds uncooked, lean ground beef (7% fat)
1/4 c packed brown sugar
3 c canned tomatoe sauce
1/4 c canned tomatoe paste
1 medium red onion, chopped
3 T red wine vinegar
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T Montreal Steak Seasoning

Mix together brown sugar and steak seasoning. Spray pan with cooking spray. Break up ground beef in pan, pour brown sugar/steak seasoning mix over and brown. When meat has browned, drain off excessfat, add onions, Worchestershire and red wine vinegar and cook for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and sacue, cook for another 10 - 15 minutes and serve. Serve on Whole Wheat buns.

5 points/sandwich

Linked to Delicious Dishes
Tasty Tuesday
Eat at Home- Ingredient Spotlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!