Background





Saturday, December 4, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

I posted this recipe about a year ago, but wanted to repost with pictures. Also, since I first posted this I have stopped using cream of soups and make my own.  My recipe is at the bottom of this post.  This is one of our favorite winter meals.  It is quick, easy, delicious and there is never any left.  In fact it is to simple to make that my daughter can almost do it herself.  Her favorite part?  Crimping the pie crust!


Chicken Pot Pie



2 cans cream of chicken soup or 2 recipes of Cream of ____ soup (recipe below)
1 - 15 oz can Veg-All
1 1/2 - 2 cups of chopped, cooked chicken (I keep this in my freezer)
1/2 c skim milk

1/2 t Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 refrigerated pie crust (I use Pillsbury - one day I might get brave and make my own!)

Preheat oven to 375* and prepare crust according to package directions (sometimes I just use a top crust, sometimes I use a top and bottom. My family prefers both, but if I only have one left from making a pie, they just get one.) Combine first 6 ingredients; place in 9" pie plate with prepared crust. Cover with top crust, crimp edges to pie plate. Slit crust to vent. Bake for 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving. (6 servings)

Cream of _____ Soup


2 T butter
2 T flour
1/4 t salt
1 c milk
In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter.  Sprinkle the flour over it and stir to incorporate.  Cook over medium low heat for 2 - 3 minutes, stirring constantly.  Slowly whisk in milk.  Simmer, stirring often for a few minutes until thick. 
 
Cream of Chicken - use 1/2 milk and 1/2 chicken broth.  If you do not have broth, drop 1 chicken bouillon cube into the water first.
 
Cream of Mushroom or Celery - saute 1/4 c diced mushrooms or celery in a bit of olive oil or butter until tender.  Add with milk. 

Cost Break Down -
Pie Crust (on sale with coupon) - $1.25
Cooked Chicken (from whole chicken in freezer) - $.075
Can Mixed Veggies - $.050
Other items - pantry staples at minimal cost
Total - $2.50






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!