Background





Saturday, January 21, 2012

Chicken, Corn and Potato Chowder

Participating in the Pantry Challenge this month has made me be a bit more creative in my recipe choices.  I have turned to my Southern Living Cookbook collection several times this month for inspiration.  Some recipes have been OK, while some have been home runs.  This Chicken Corn and Pototo Chowder is an adaptation of Cheesy Chicken Corn Soup from July 1997.  The original recipe called for cream of chicken soup and did not include potatoes.  Here is my new and improved version.  I have added this recipe to our family favorite cookbook.

Chicken, Corn and Potato Chowder


6 T butter
6 T flour
1 1/2  c milk
2 1/2  c chicken broth (divided)
1 16 oz pkg. frozen whole kernel corn
2 c chopped cooked chicken
3 c shredded, frozen hash browns
1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilis (I used Rotel)
1 8.5 oz. can cream style corn
1 8 oz. loaf Velveeta
1 minced garlic clove
1/4 t pepper
4 T chopped cooked bacon

In a large dutch oven, melt butter.  Sprinkle flour over it and stir to incorporate.  Cook over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.  Slowly whisk in 1 1/2 c milk and 1 1/2 cup chicken broth.  Simmer over low heat until thick. 

Add 1 c chicken broth, stir until blended.  Add all remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat.  Reduce heat and simmer; uncovered, 30 minutes or until smooth, stirring often.  Serve topped with chopped, cooked bacon.

Original recipe stated this froze and reheated very well, but we didn't have any leftover to try it out!

Linking to

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love corn chowder! I have a great cookbook giveaway going on right now if you would like to enter? http://eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com/2012/01/rush-hour-recipes-review-and-cookbook.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! Corn chowder is my favorite kind of soup as long as it's homemade. However, I don't have it very often. Oh how I would have loved to have been at your house the day this was served!

    Thank you so much for linking up to my party, and I hope you will come by again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just love Chowder and the combination of the Corn and Chicken sounds delicious. We would really enjoy this recipe! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!