Background





Sunday, October 28, 2012

31 Days of Fall - Day 19 Chili wtih Homemade Seasonings

The first cold, fall Sunday in Atlanta is the perfect time for chili.  I created this recipe years ago and it has always been a family favorite.  The original recipe called for a packet of chili seasoning.  In my constant attempt to omit MSG and limit sodium intake for my family, I searched for a "make your own" recipe.  I think I have hit upon a winner.  I plan on including this in my holiday gift baskets.

Chili Seasoning


 
6 t chili powder
1/2 t crushed red pepper
1T dried minced onion
1 T garlic powder
1 t white sugar
3 t ground cumin
2 t dried parsely, crushed
2 t salt
1 t dried basil, crushed
1/4 t ground pepper

In a bowl, crush parsley and basil with back of spoon.  Add all other ingredients.  Stir to mix well.  Store in an airtight container.  Use 6 t per pot of chili.



Jenny's Chili

1 pound ground beef, cooked with chopped onion and garlic
1 16oz. can chopped tomatoes with green peppers and onions
2 16 oz. can tomato sauce
6 t chili seasoning
2 sliced jalapeno peppers
1 16 oz. can light red kidney beans

Put all ingredients in slow cooker.  Stir well.  Cook on Low 8 - 10 hours or on High for 4 -5.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!